Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Recurring dreams about flying, little sisters, and fast cars

"here are the details of a recurring dream that I have been having most nights (in some form) for the past few years.

In all my dreams I can fly (but not very high). Sometimes I struggle to get off the ground and need to do treading water like motions to get higher. I also have to jump off very tall buildings to gain height. I am the only one who can fly in any of my dreams and it is almost as if flying is my party trick.

Another common feature of my dreams involves stealing cars. I often go into car parks and take the fastest car I can find (cars are never locked). However, the cars often shrink in size as soon as I get into them and often end up the size of a child's electric car.

Finally in most of my dreams my younger sisters who are 21 and 9 years-old are always small children in my dreams. My 21-year-old sister is usually around 5 years old, while my younger sister usually takes the form of a small doll that I carry around in my pocket and often lose, leading to feelings of panic and worry. Any analysis or feedback that you could give me would be very much appreciated!"

Wow, thanks so much for sending these in, they're really funny and enjoyable, as I can relate to all three of your recurring dreams! If any of my other readers have recurring dreams they'd like analyzed, please feel free to email me at Rachel.Beezy88@gmail.com for a free reading.

I've always had dreams in which I could fly, and like you, often times I have to get a running, fighting or leaping start. Being able to fly in your dreams is a representation of a sense of freedom, in some cases (like when you have to really work at it) you may be desirous of freedom. In other situations, where you just lift off with ease, you are likely experiencing a great sense of personal freedom. I firmly believe that one of the reasons I've always been a heavy sleeper, and a chronic over-sleeper, is because of dreams about flying, and the intense joy that comes with them.

Sometimes stealing something in your dreams is emblematic of a desire for something you can't have. In this case, what you want so badly is a fast car, presumably to get you the heck out of where ever you are. Instead of being able to drive off into the sunset, the cars shrink down around you, presumably closing you in. I think it's interesting that two of the dreams you've sent in are reflecting a desire for freedom, and that this desire is often partially or fully frustrated. I would be hard pressed to say precisely what is missing in your emotional life, but clearly you have some goals, whither personal or professional, that you have not yet met. You may find that a major personal success could help you break away from these recurring dreams, or, equally effective might be a reassessment of your goals, and a recalculation of your needs.

The third dream is also interesting. Sisters (or brothers) are often reflections of ourselves within the context of our dreams. Often times a sister (or brother) will occupy a role within our dream that could easily be filled by a second version of us. Because of the fact that your little sisters appear so different physically in your dreams than they are in real life, I believe that this analysis holds up for your recurring dream. I would estimate that your 21 year old sister, as a five year old, is standing in for your inner child, and your nine year old sister becomes something more conceptual- the idea of who you'd be when you were "all grown up". That idea may be very different than the person you've come to be, but the potential that you had to become anything at all, that is something that you can't lose, or give up on.

Looking at these dreams as a group, I'm tempted to suggest that the freedom that you are seeking is actually the freedom to grow to your full potential professionally. Without knowing you personally, I can't say for certain that this is the case, but I think the relationship between the three dreams is apparent. Occasionally, readers get the idea that I'm some sort of psychic, likely because of the sorts of judgements I find myself making, as I have here- I guess it'll be you, the lovely person who sent these dreams in, who will ultimately decide if my instincts are on with your dream!

Thanks again for sending this in, please feel free to post comments to the blog, or to email them to me directly at Rachel.Beezy88@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment