Friday, June 5, 2009

A dream about dogs and adventure!

"My dog's and I were running through this like rain forest/ jungle type setting with me in front. My oldest dog, Howie, is an 8 year old Boston Terrier that seriously is the love of my life. I also have a Boston terrier/chihuahua mix that is 2 years old. My husband and I got her together and I'd say he's a little closer to her than I am but still, an incredible dog and companion.

So we are running through this jungle almost as if someone is following us. I remember feeling terrified as I ran but more scared about how I was going to get away from whoever or whatever it was without losing one of my pups. All of a sudden, we come up to this wooden bridge that crosses over this waterfall that felt like over a 1,000 feet high. I could see that there were planks missing across the bridge and tried to figure out how this was going to work where we all could safely make it across. All of it happened so fast because I still had an overwhelming feeling that someone was chasing me that I couldn't really process a good plan.
I took off running. I ran across that bridge like it was the passage way to good because whatever was following me was evil. I felt like all I had to do was make it across and it would be over. Little did I know how true that was. Somehow, by this point in the dream, it was only Howie and I. Lily, my Boston/chihuahua mix had somehow vanished. I don't remember feeling concerned about it though. Almost, as if she had to be safe because if I thought something was wrong with her, I would have been looking frantically for her everywhere. So I make it across the bridge somewhat easily. Although it looked scary, it wasn't so bad.


This is the part that haunts me the most. I'm standing on the other side of the bridge watching the water crash down but feeling safe because no longer am I worried about what was chasing us. All of a sudden, as Howie follows me loyally, he slips between two planks and it was too late. There wasn't anything I could do. It felt like he was falling for 5 minutes; just staring up at me with a frightened look on his face. He had so much reliance on me pouring through his eyes almost as if I had let him down. He looked at me like there was so much trust between us that he knew that I could fix this and make it OK. The sad part though was that I couldn't. No matter what I tried to do, I knew he wouldn't survive the landing. I remember when I woke up that I thought to myself that if this ever happened in real life, that my natural instinct would be to jump after him. Or at least, be thrown to the ground in such emotional turmoil that I'd have to be carried away from the edge. In the dream however, I just watched him fall. The picture was all white because of the water crashing with a little brown dot in the middle. I couldn't believe what I saw but yet, I didn't react in a realistic way. At least, I mean.. I didn't react in a way that was anyway myself.


I am almost to the point where I wake up from the dream. I walk down the other side for awhile and come up to a car with my husband standing there holding my door open. It wasn't his car he was driving. It was a red like sports car type car. I walked slowly over to the car and got in without saying a word. He drove away and I just sat in silence over what had just happened. I don't ever remember saying, "GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED" or crying, "HOWIE'S GONE", or asking "WHERE IS LILY". We just drove off. I woke up shortly after that and reached down and grabbed my pups. I knew it was a dream, but I felt like I let them down.
This dream has really baffled me and I'd love any interpretation that you have of it. Oh yeah! As soon as I woke, my husband said to me "I just had the best dream". I responded "Yeah?".. and he said "Yeah... I just dreamed that you had a baby". I said "Really?, Was it a boy or a girl?" and he said a boy. That was that. We both got up and went on with our day. I never did tell him my dream. I am wondering if our dreams are related and if it could mean any changes are about to happen to us in our family."


Thank you for sending this very compelling dream, and thank you also for your patience, I'm running quite behind at the moment. To any of my readers, please feel free to email your dreams to me at Rachel.Beezy88@gmail.com for a free dream reading in around 7 days :)

Let me start by mentioning that dreams in which a person has a baby are generally considered omens of good fortune by the superstitious. In less superstitious sense, these dreams are generally considered to be representative of a new beginning in a person's life, or a sense of hope or optimism in a difficult situation. Based on the way that you describe your love for your dogs, I would say that the two dreams may be related, as we'll explore below.

The books on dream analysis will often consider a dog a symbol of loyalty or fidelity. While those interpretations are not incorrect, there is a common experience happening in the new millennium that I believe these books are not addressing. For some people, dogs aren't just pets, they are surrogate children who never develop beyond the age of about three. Many, many people get their emotional needs met by their animal companions- as a woman of 28 with a strong maternal drive, and no human children, I am surely one of these people.

Obviously, you are as well. For that reason, your dogs do not hold the same significance in your dreams that they would for the average person. Your dogs = your children, the beings you love, protect, care for above and beyond all other responsibilities. Loosing a child in a dream is often indicative of a broken dream or dashed hopes.

As such, loosing them is devastating in the same way that loosing your children would be, perhaps to a lesser extent, perhaps not. Let's look at the way they are lost for a moment. A bridge is a place of transition, extending across a dangerous space and allowing you to continue on your journey. A bridge that's rickety or falling apart may represent a transition or life change that you feel uncertain about, or a crucial choice.

Waterfalls are often a positive symbol in dreams, signifying a purification or regeneration, but in this context I believe it is less positive. Waterfalls can also signify the release of pent-up emotions, or a tumbling cascade of feelings, and I suspect that is the case here.

I suspect that the common link here is the absence of human children, and the substitution of dog babies. As I do not know you personally, I can not say if this is the case. Rather than read this as a purely dismal dream, where your subconscious reminds you that dog babies do not, in biological terms, equal human ones, I'd suggest that this dream does have a number of positive indications of emotional growth and relief of frustration. While the dogs do not make it across, you do. When you meet your husband, you seem to feel back to normal again, or at least you're not frantic and emotional, though you may still have been concerned about the dogs.

Long story short message here: while you may be feeling a sting of anxiousness or disappointment, your frustration is temporary. You have a good support system, and your life will go on as you either get what you want or learn to view things in a different way.

I hope that this reading was helpful! Please feel free to post comments here, or directly to me at Rachel.Beezy88@gmail.com. The same goes for any of my readers, please feel free to email me your dreams, as I'd love to analyze them free of charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment