Saturday, January 17, 2009

a dream of being attacked

To thank you guys for being so candid in sending me dreams to analyze, I've decided to post one of mine own for today. I hope you enjoy my crazy dream as much as I enjoy all of yours!!! Please feel free to send me absolutely any dream that you'd like decoded fast and free. Interpreting dreams is a favorite hobby of mine, and I'd love to help you figure out what your dreams mean!

A few weeks ago I dreamt that I was hanging out with a big group of male friends, chatting and flirting and drinking. For some reason Big Boi and Andre 3000 from Outkast were hanging out with us. I was introduced to them by my friends, and we were all talking and drinking and joking around. At some point, I forgot Andre's name and I started calling him Brandon, which became a running joke among the little group of us. It was strange but funny, and Andre was being pretty cool and going along with it.

At some point, the group kinda changed. I have a feeling that it was gradual, one or two guys leaving and one or two new ones showing up. Soon, I looked up and realized that the group I was now hanging out with looked like a bunch of huge bodybuilder guys, like the cast of American Gladiators. One of them kind of advanced on me, invading my personal space. I told him in no uncertain terms to back off, but he kind of persisted. It was strange because he wasn't attacking me, he was just standing very close to me and telling me that he was the kind of guy who'd "take what he wanted."

Not being willing to back down, I tell him to step off. Loudly. And the rest of the guys kept on hanging out, completely ignoring the situation between me and this aggressive guy, who is several times my size. I grab a coatrack that is shaped like a golden tree branch, strangely enough. I have a jewerly stand that looks like it, and I think that's why it was there, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, so I take the golden branch and I knock this giant guy off his feet, just sweeping his legs out from under him. When he hit the ground I hold the pointy end of the branch to his stomach and threaten to stab him in the liver. He keeps saying that I can't stop him. I look around for help, but all the men in the room were useless, totally ignorant of the situation. I decide the best thing to do is choke him out with the branch. I hold the branch across his throat and he starts to struggle a little. Scared, I press harder until he loses consciousness.

As I've discussed in an earlier entry, dreaming about having relationships with celebrities often indicates that you are an ambitous person. This is certainly true in my case, but in addition to that, the selection of Outkast is interesting in that I find these two personalities interesting. The thing that makes Outkast work as a musical act is the individual influence of these two very different people, the flamboyant and eccentric Andre 3000 and the more reserved Big Boi.

That I was speaking with the two of them as if they were old friends of mine might suggest that I'm feeling comfortable in my own skin these days. Living in LA, a person sees their fair share of celebrities, and undoubtedly dreaming with celebrity cameo apperances may seem a little less exciting if you just waited in line for Starbucks behind Lawrence Fishbourne.

I've talked a lot about the common anxiety that many women share of being attacked by a man. The fact that a woman is more likely to be killed by someone she knows than a stranger is the root cause of this fear. Men are dangerous in some instances... and I'm acutely aware of that fact. For that reason, I'm capable of defending myself. The relative lack of anxiety I experienced in the dream was interesting to me, my attitude regarding the threat that this large man posed to me was rather blase. I suppose it was the fact that I've had fight training that made me feel that way, or perhaps I knew I was dreaming.

I was taught as a child that if you realize you're having a dream while you dream you can manipulate your dreams. This process is called Lucid Dreaming, and it's fascinating. The person who taught me about the phenomenon explained that if you get into the habit of asking yourself several times a day if you are awake or asleep, eventually the habit will be so ingrained that you'll silently ask yourself while you are actually asleep. At that point, you'll know you're dreaming and you'll be able to make things happen.

I learned the technique to control my chronic nightmares. So I can guess that perhaps I knew I was dreaming while I was rather violently defending myself, because if I was dreaming I could defintely stop this guy. Regardless, the golden branch is an interesting symbol.

Branches in dreams, can symbolize new growth or good fortune when they're whole, or bad communication when they're broken. In this instance, because the branch is gold, I'll assume that it contains the positive meaning. Interesting then that the object I select in my battle against an adversary I would be unlikely to defeat is a golden branch, a bough of unprecidented good luck.

Also, if we look at the symbol in reverse because it's gold, it could be that my best weapon against this kind of assilant would be communication. Regardless, it was an interesting dream that managed to stick with me!

Thank you for taking the time to read through this, and please feel free to comment, paticularly if I've missed any major symbols in my own dream! And, as always, please feel free to email me your dreams for a free, fast dream reading.


1 comment:

  1. I have a recurring dream that I can't figure out and I was hoping you could help me interpret it because an outside opinion always seems to help best. What happens to me is very similar to your dream. I perceive someone to be very threatening to me, so before they can harm me I attack them. I throw a ton of punches and kicks, slamming them against walls and kicking them into the ground all in an effort to knock them out. Sometimes I will even pull out a knife or gun and stab or shoot them repeatedly to try and kill them. While I launch my attack, the victim never fights back. They either just sit there and take it like a rag doll or try to escape. Then, as soon as I am done attacking them and I am convinced that I have finished them off, they suddenly come to life, seemingly unharmed and unaffected, and kick the snot out of me until I can't move anymore, or they end up killing me in the same way I tried to kill them. I get variations of this dream all the time, so I know my brain must be trying to tell me something. Please help me if you know what this means.

    ~ S

    ReplyDelete