Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Recurring dreams about tornados

"For about a year, I have been having recurring dreams about tornadoes, especially within the past couple of months. Sometimes there is only 1, that passes and just keeps going, sometimes, like last night, there were many in a row. They don't do damage to the place where I am hiding at whether it be a storm shelter, or house. It just goes over, I can hear the noise and rumbling, but it doesn't cause destruction where I am. As the tornado(es) go(es) by, it becomes clear. When I see the tornadoes, I am always with 1 or both of my children, and we are running frantically to seek shelter. I am always scared in the dreams. Sometimes it takes a long time for them to get closer and sometimes they get close fast."

Thank you so much for sending this group of dreams in for a reading, and if you'd like your dreams interpreted by me, please send them to dream.reader@hotmail.com

This set of dreams is a perfect way for me to discuss my theory on the significance of the tornado in dreams because it's not a single dream, and the symbol of the tornado doesn't always appear the same way in each of the individual dreams. I've actually thought seriously about placing a moratorium on any further discussion of tornado dreams in this blog, similar to my reluctance to discuss any more dreams about werewolves, because such a large number of the dreams that I read are about either of these two symbols. I hope that by facing this set of dreams I can answer multiple emails that have been sent in to me.

A tornado is a violent force of nature which tears through an environment, destroying everything that winds up in it's path. Personally, I wonder if the folks who tend to dream about tornadoes are typically those who live in areas effected by them- as a native Californian, I've dreamt about tsunamis, forest fires and earthquakes, but I've never had one about a tornado or a big storm. It stands to reason that the existence of a violent weather event in the waking life of a person may create the fear that would cause the same event to exist in their dreaming lives; while the natural inclination may be to believe that these dreams are prophetic, it is more likely that they are just manifestations of fear rather than harbingers of destruction.

So really, if you're dreaming about a tornado, you're dreaming about a force larger than yourself that is destroying homes and lives around you. In the case of a string of dreams such as yours, it doesn't have to be the same fear that causes the dreams in all instances. The specifics regarding the speed, duration and number of tornadoes is most likely a reflection of your real-life stresses. Perhaps the things that were beyond your control a year ago generated a dream where a single tornado was after you, perhaps in these recent months you've had more to worry about, more factors that you cannot control that are directly threatening you.

That the tornado(es) do not actually do anything to you, but merely pass over you with rumbling and noise, implies that while these forces scare you, they haven't yet torn your life (or house) apart. You have always been able to find shelter from the violent storms of life, and I sincerely hope that you are always able to do so.

I hope that you've found this reading helpful, thank you so much for sending your dream into me for a reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment