Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dreams about being chased by wolves

"I've been having these dreams that are starting to worry me. Usually I forget my dreams as soon as I wake up, however there are a couple of dreams that I seem to keep replaying in my head. It all started with this one dream, Me and my cousin are walking down the street, when all of a sudden we find ourselves being chased by wolves, however the wolves can talk, I'm able to convince them to take me and leave my cousin, she runs off to get help and i go with the wolves.

Then we get to a clearing in the woods and the wolves turn into men. We get to talking, me trying to convince them to let me go and then suddenly one of them says he can't read my mind, while the others claim they can. All of a sudden he is claiming I'm his mate, I tell him I'm married and pregnant ( even though in real life I'm not, only 19). Somehow my cousin and my husband find us and my " mate" lets me leave although he looks furious and sad. The dream continues I don't remember whether i lost the child or gave birth, but my husband dies, and the wolf comes back again and we become friends.

After I had that dream, I've been dreaming about wolves more. They always seem to be chasing me in particular, and the wolves always look like the ones from the first dream. Does it mean anything at all or do i have an over active imagination?"

Thank you for sending in this fascinating dream! Let me start by answering your last question, of course your dreams mean something!! Dreams are expressions, emotions, impressions and images generated by our minds as we sleep. The things that we think and feel in our waking lives play a role in the way our imaginations select and then generate this imagery, allowing an outlet for the things we cannot, or will not, express consciously while awake. For this reason, dreams often seem like nonsense, they employ a strange sort of logic that applies only within the four walls of your own skull, but, just because they don't make any obvious sense when you recount them to yourself upon waking doesn't mean they don't mean anything, or have any value!

That's where I come in. While I am not a professional therapist, or psychologist, I've been up to my ears in weird dreams and dream books for as long as I can remember. I'm good at spotting the emotional cues that people provide in their emails, and I am able to string together the likely situations behind the generation of strange dreams. So for all my dreamers out there, please feel free to email me at Rachel.Beezy88@gmail.com, and I'll interpreter your dreams, free of charge, here on my blog.

Wolves are a common symbol in dream lore, and they can represent a number of different things, depending on your personal associations with them as well as their role within the plot of your dream. On a fundamental level, wolves are pack animals with a clear cut social order and hierarchy, and they are often monogamous. As the ancestor of the domestic dog, or man's best friend, I find that a large number of people who dream about wolves dream about them in the way that you're describing- as simultaneously dangerous and yet intriguing, even friendly, creatures.

Your dream begins with you and your cousin being chased by wolves. Cousins in dreams often play similar roles that a sibling or parent would, as they stand in for a part of yourself that you may not consider to be a dominant element of your personality. Perhaps you are shy, but you have a great sense of humor, and your cousin is outspoken and hilariously funny with everyone she meets, well, this would be an easy example of your cousin existing in your dream to represent that other, funnier, more outspoken side to you. Conversely, it may be that your cousin is someone whom you protect, and look out for, as evidenced by the fact that you convince the wolves to let her go. Since I don't know you, or your cousin personally, I can't say for certain what trait it is that she embodies, but I'm pretty sure that's the case here.

Perhaps because of the emergence of fantasy films and media as a dominant force in current pop culture, werewolves and vampires, both creatures of transformation, are also becoming symbols of a sort of brutal, forbidden sexuality. What your dream is reflecting is an anxiety over being the object of the rather brutal sexuality of young men, a group who is predatory and manipulative, and will rather famously say anything to get into your hot young pants. In your dream, this exists mostly within the subtext, as you are chased by these wolves who become men and then attempt to claim you as a mate. Rather than going along with this, you lie and tell the man (for he is a man at this point) that you're married and pregnant.

I remember being in situations when I was younger, when I used to work as a rave promoter especially, where I'd be out at a massive party and creepy dudes would hit on me. I used to wear a ridiculously massive fake engagement ring, so that I could pretend not only that a male friend was my fiance, but also so I'd look like a gold digger and therefore be less attractive! Once, when faced with a particularly persistent creep, I started to fake cry and proclaimed that I was pregnant. Worked like a charm!

Your lie, though, because you're dreaming and the logic is different, does not work exactly as you'd imagined it would. The man isn't backing off, and beyond that, you create a fake dream husband and child in the process. The dream husband, because he's paired with a child, seems to represent a less threatening version of male sexuality. He is the man you want, the one who wants more from you than just an intense mating session, and he's come to rescue you from those rabid boys who have been chasing you down! Of course, being that he is something that you drew into the dream by wishing that he existed, he does not last throughout its entire plot.

What happens instead is that you become friends with the man who seemed threatening to you in the beginning. This seems a rational set of circumstances, if you consider the movement of events: first you're chased by a beast, then the beast becomes a reasonable animal has a sexual interest in you, then that interest seems to wane, and finally the threat is contained.

I hope this dream reading is helpful! While you are the only person who can say for sure what your dreams mean, I hope that this interpretation of their symbols has been helpful, and I thank you for sending me your dream. As per usual, please feel free to email me directly with any comments or questions at Rachel.Beezy88@gmail.com, or leave them here for all to see!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say thanks, your dream analysis helped me understand my dream better

    ReplyDelete