Monday, February 9, 2009

she's got legs, and she's dreaming about them!

"I dreamt that someone was caressing my legs. The person was faceless. I only remember hands on my legs (which didn't really look like my own legs in real life) and someone remarking about how smooth they were. The hands seemed to be coming from down below, and like I said, I could not see the person's face. I don't even know whether they were male or female, but I suspect that they were female. In waking life, I never show off my legs. In fact, I never even wear shorts or skirts because I hate my legs.
Is this totally sexual? I have no idea what this means really. Thanks!" - EM, Los Angeles


Thanks for submitting your dream for an interpretation, EM!

I think there are a few things to think about when considering the meaning of this dream. First of all, as we've discussed in previous posts, the legs are the literal connection of a person to the ground. They are the limbs that allow us to get where we are going, and so they have the power to represent the way that a person moves through the world.

On this very literal level, we could say that this dream is about you getting to where you'd like to be in life. The act of having your legs stroked and praised might signify an appreciation for your method of getting things accomplished.

Similarly, I think that this dream might be a cue from your subconscious not to be so hard on yourself. You mention above that you 'hate' your legs and that you refrain from wearing clothing that shows them as a result. Is it possible that you're being a little hard on yourself? The image that your brain has provided for the dream is an ideal form of the body part, how far are you, realistically, from your ideal self? When considering the metaphor of legs as the way of getting things done in your life, is it possible that you're being too hard on yourself?

As for the dream being sexual, sure, it could be a little sexual, if it felt sexy at the time. Dreams have a way of taking really mundane activities and applying more titillating experiences to them, at least in my experience. It's also possible that all three of these elements are working together to provide you with a bigger message. The image of a pair of idealized legs being praised and stroked in a sexually pleasurable way could equate to an optimistic view of the way that you're moving through the world. Perhaps what you're moving towards is a little sexy time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment