Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Dream about a Two-Headed Snake that becomes a Kitten...

"I have many strange and somewhat interesting dreams, some very haunting ones. I have had one that has remained very clearly in my mind over a year ago, and not a day goes by that I don't think about. Now, I do not live at home, and my family relationship is great, I am also an atheist and see no religious link in this dream. I have thought about all things in this dream, but I can't figure it out. So the dream starts.

I am out the back yard of my parents house, and me and my brother are clearing up and cleaning the yard. As we are doing this, my brother notices a 2 headed snake. I look, and being interested in such things, name it as some sort of python. As I look closer at the snake, I realize that it is 2 snakes tightly intertwined, one is dead, the other is alive. Both snakes are quite large. They separate as the live one moves.

My dad comes to the top of the steps and seems panicked by the snake. As the snake moves across the yard, with every movement it compresses, gradually morphing into a small white kitten with striking blue eyes. The kitten looks straight at me, jumps on to the wall, onto the windowsill and through an open window. My dad panics, and demands that I go after it, as it will get my cat, Syn.

As I am the only one with experience with snakes and handling them, no one else will go near, even though it turned to a kitten. I run into the room that the kitten went into and I am shocked to find a young girl sitting on the chest freezer beneath the window. She is dressed completely in white, with platinum blond hair and the same striking blue eyes the kitten had. she speaks to me. Her voice is familiar, and she knows my name. She warns me that she has a message for me, one of great importance and concern.

Now, unfortunately the exact contents of the message is hazy (of course) but I pick up on the severity, and the fact that this is extremely relevant to me and there is something only I can do. The last thing T remember her saying is about a great threat to the arterial planes of existence that is imminent. She stands up, says, it's coming, and to be prepared as she has instructed me. She jumps to the window as a kitten again and by the time I look outside she is gone. Now, this was very strange to me, and I even looked up the term arterial planes of existence, and I can't find anything."


Thanks so much for sending in this bizarre and fascinating dream! I can see why it would stick with you for such an extended period of time, and I hope that by examining its elements bit by bit we can figure out what's at the root of it. Please feel free to leave any comments here, or if any of my readers would like to have their dreams analyzed by me, please feel free to email them to dream.reader@hotmail.com. 

Your dream seems to center around a number of dualities, for example, instead of clearing the yard alone, you're doing it with your brother. Siblings appearing within dreams are often stand-ins for another part of ourselves, or a contrary part of our personality. This is typically an aspect of yourself that you also see in the personality of your sibling.

The two of you are in a rather normal place, though you don't live with your parents, their yard is the last place you'd expect something this crazy to happen. Fathers are typically symbols of protective nurturing and authority- but in this case, his behavior doesn't adhere to those ideas. Rather than attempt to protect you from the snakes, he sends you after them! He's even afraid of them after they suddenly change into a white kitten. I suspect that the communication between the two of you isn't as good as you might want it to be- does he misunderstand you? At the time of this dream, was something happening in your life that he wasn't OK with?

A few words now on the color white, and baby cats. An object in a dream being white can hint to a sort of benign quality in that object; similarly, white can equate to a sort of perfection. This is dependent on the adherence to certain binaries that I personally don't always adhere to, but in terms of the collective unconscious it's often the case. A kitten is a little mischief maker, both in life and in dreams. One of my favorite online resources for dream symbolism is www.dreammoods.com, and there I see that a white kitten is a symbol of deception!

The roots of dream interpretation are split into various fragments, as I've mentioned, a lot of the symbols that we recognize today are from Freud, but in my research I find almost an equal number of symbols that seem to be rooted in superstition of some kind. Occasionally, while researching I'll find an entry like this, and while I won't disregard it completely, I'll take it with a grain of salt, so to speak. I'd also consider your personal feelings regarding kittens when determining this little cat's place in your dream. Personally, human babies and dog babies are 100% interchangeable in the meanings of my dreams. Since you have a cat, I suspect that you may have similar attachments to the species...

This may also be true in the matter of the snakes. There are many differing theories as to what the appearance of snakes signifies in dreams. As a child, I frequently dreamt that snakes littered the ground I was walking on. As soon as I got my filthy little child hands on a dream book, I looked up snakes... and I was disappointed and confused to find only the Freudian explanation of snakes. Freud believed that a snake was a representation of repressed sexuality. OK, I can see it, I get it, but what about in the dream of an 8 year old?? What about in this dream?

Well, here you have one dead snake and one living, their bodies twined together. Because you profess a little experience with snakes, and because of the actions of your father, who seems to think only you can handle the animal, I believe that the meaning of these two snakes has a more positive connotation. Snakes can be phallic, snakes can be dangerous, OR conversely, a snake can be a symbol of a unique kind of wisdom or knowledge.


Dreams were people or animals shift their shapes often reflect a period of transition, or a shifting of another kind. They can also be a call from your subconscious to create change in your life. In this case, what your brother thinks is a two headed snake (note this perhaps as two kinds of wisdom) you soon realize is actually two pythons, one living and one dead (read: one representing a current or new attitude, the other, a mode of thought that's over) as the living snake moves, it uncoils itself from the dead one (just as you're shedding that old way of thinking).


Diving back into the action here for a second, you're sent after the kitten that everyone thinks is a snake set to devour your real kitty, Syn. Nobody seems to realize that you're after a harmless little fluff ball, but you don't bother to argue with them. When you find her, the kitty is a woman. A rather glamorous sounding one at that- all dressed in white, with platinum hair and striking blue eyes. She delivers a message to you- and you don't remember the exact message, because it's a dream after all! The messages here are encoded, they don't make any sense on the surface! It's often true that any message sent to you in a dream is directly from your subconscious, but how subconscious could your subconscious be if it told you explicitly what it was up to???

So instead, she "warns" you of a serious threat to a place that doesn't exist!

The real warning behind all this? Well, by weaving things together a little, symbols of innocence (like a kitten) beside things understood to be dangerous combined with a little miscommunication, I'd have to say the real danger is that you were probably feeling misunderstood at the time your brain concocted this crazy dream! The way that you were thinking about things was changing, and you were leaving some old ideas behind- but that might have caused some communication problems with your family. In this time of turmoil, you were consciously working on preserving the way your life was, but that life was in serious danger of being forever altered.

Time waits for no man. And we're all growing and learning and changing all the time. At least most of us are! Sometimes there can be fall out. I am fairly certain that this is a manifestation of that fall out.
I hope that this dream reading has been helpful. Please feel free to email me any additional dreams or comments at dream.reader@hotmail.com, and thank you for submitting this gem :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment