Monday, March 9, 2009

Reoccurring dreams

"I need your help,
For the last 6-7 weeks I have been having the same dream every night, but in the last 2 week it is also happening during the day when I am awake.
 
The dream is, I am standing looking down a very dark tunnel or hallway, at the end there is a very bright white light, then out of nowhere this hall way or tunnel starts filling with silhouettes of men, woman, and children. They are all trying to communicate with me, all I can hear is mumbling but then it gets louder and louder till I am waking up and yelling at them to go away.

My husband thinks I am going mad, and personally so do I, what does this mean and why does it also happen in the middle of the day. It just won't go away, I keep hearing the voices in my head and can see this tunnel or hall way.  Please help." - Anonymous

 What a powerful set of images. Let me start by saying that I am not a mental health professional, and therefore would not be qualified to make a diagnosis about a person's mental condition. In my humble opinion, I do not think you're going mad, but if you're experiencing a full-on hallucination during waking hours (IE if the dream is as real during the day as it is at night) it would be a good idea to talk to a professional just in case. 

The phenomenon you're describing above is a version of what is often described by people who have had a near-death experience. People will often say that at the moment of physical death they see a light at the end of a long tunnel, often fringed with loved ones who have passed away. Some experts theorize that this vision is actually a sort of recycled early memory of birth, and I think it could easily be argued that this prevalent vision could be a sort of dream state that the mind wanders into as the body looses the ability to remain alive, the brain is depleted of blood etc.

What struck me as immediately odd in the case of your dream is that you're not dying. At least, not anymore than anyone else! You're brain is not loosing it's access to blood or oxygen at the moments you're experiencing these dreams, is it? I didn't think so. 

Reoccurring dreams reoccur because whatever issue they highlight isn't dealt with or examined. They can be hugely frustrating, but typically once a person figures out what their dream is all about it will go away.

So there are a few ways we can look at this dream, first bearing in mind the theory about tunnels as symbols for the birth canal. A dream about a light at the end of a tunnel can mean that you are experiencing a need for the security, protection and stability that you experienced as an infant. It can also mean that you're coming into a time or rebirth or renewed hope; and in this case you certainly have nothing to fear. A dream about a tunnel can also indicate that you have "tunnel vision" about certain issues in your life, and for whatever reason you are unable to see various perspectives on these issues. It can serve as a call to get in touch with the root of your choice to see things with a limited perspective.

Dreaming about people whom you don't know, can't see or can't understand maybe a reflection of other sides of yourself that need examination. You may be experiencing some unfamiliar emotions, or exercising some buried rage. This interpretation springs from the idea that we're everyone in our dreams, so seeing unfamiliar faces who mumble words means that something strange and rather incomprehensible is going on within your psyche. That's not to say that you can't figure it out, or resolve it, just that it is unfamiliar at this time.

The fear that you're experiencing in the dream suggests to me that you may be experiencing some kind of test to your core values. Something is causing you to question the security of your inner self, in other words, something seems to be causing you to question your identity. This theory can also tie back into the main symbol of the dream, the tunnel standing in for a birth canal, a call for the security of earlier years.

I would advise taking a little time out of your day today to figure out what this issue is that is causing so much fear in your life. And please, if there is anything you remember later on, or if you have any comments on what I've said, please feel free to email again. Thank you for sending your dream in for a free interpretation, I hope this helps!

-
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment